Practical Steps to Preserving Church Unity
Dear Woodview friends and family,
Recently, Thom Rainer and Jonathan Howe dealt with the concern of church unity on their podcast. Let me share with you some of their observations and some of their practical steps for preserving church unity.
One of the major concerns in the church today is unity because there is discord and infighting in many churches. Someone has said, "Where two or more church members are gathered, there are three or more opinions." And yet most disagreements in the church happen over the way things are done, not why they are done.
So after research, study, and discussion, here are their practical steps for preserving church unity:
1. Make prayer and Scripture the focus of corporate gatherings.
2. Preach and teach about church unity.
3. Put others before yourself.
4. Talk to people, not about people.
5. Be a part of the change you want to see.
6. Stand up for the leadership of the church.
7. Be willing to not get your way if it means advancing the mission.
8. Don't compare your church to the one down the street or across town.
The great thing is that every one of those items on that list are things we can start to do this week...today! Now, they need to be ongoing and it will take time to see the ripple affect of it go throughout a church. But if we take responsibility for the unity of our church we are obeying Scripture, we are strengthening the witness of the church, and it will have greater kingdom impact.
I am so glad for the trajectory our church is on and excited for the future. I hope you will join us in worship this Sunday!
Jon B. Stradtner